Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Paris to Cergy - 75k Sat 2 June

Yes we made it - a great day - just need another day or so to fill you in. Julie is a legend on a loaded bike on massive climbs - not fair for day 1!

It took some 2 hours to get our bikes assembled in the Arrivals area, and answer all the questions of curious passers by. It was about 10am when we nervously ventured out front of this very large Terminal, and to try to get our bearings. Asking questions of airport staff didnt seem to give us clarity, so we took off anyway. We each had our Aussie flags proudly displayed off the back of our bikes.

We stopped at a garage to buy water, and then try to make sense of the french guys we were asking directions from. Julie seemed to make more sense of it than me, so we headed off again. We get very easily confused because the place seems to be all ring roads, and being on the 'wrong' side of the road now, everything seems back to front.

I tried to visualise the place from my visit some 7 years earlier, but we were coming out of a different Terminal, and nothing looked familiar. We headed off down this very busy main road that seemed to head into a tunnel for a long distance. It was single lane, and narrow, and after a nod from a passing Policeman to Julie's rapid gesturing, we set sail into the tunnel, me in froint and Julie following. I could hear her calling, but I couldn't make out what she was saying.

Only when we survived the tunnel alive, with trucks and all kinds of vehicles passing ever so closely, and we exited on a minor road to catch brerath, did Julie tell me that I lost my precious Aussie flag in the tunnel. I felt so disappointed, but there was no going back. So Val - I have been flying the Aussie cap you gave me - its almost a flag, and it is the last thing I attach to my rear pack everyday.

The trip to Cergy was so incredibly interesting. It was further thanh we planned, but once we found the village of le Mesnil just outside the airtport, we were immediatley orientated and on track. French villages passed every few k's. It was all very delightful.

Ironically, when putting the bikes together, I broke the bolt that holds my seat post up. So I couldnt fasten the seat, and was forced to ride it with the seat at least 5'' lower than usual. It really did feel like I would hit my chin with my knees. Thanks to a little french mechanic we passed in a small street in a vuillage later in the day, he was so pleased to be able to help with a perfectly fitting bolt. He spoke no english, and I never learned the french word for bolt - but he got the message and was so helpful. We were grateful to God for putting him right where we needed him.

The last few k's went very slowly. We had been travelling for 28hrs or so, and were hanging out for a decent sleep in our Hotel room. Cergy is on the western outskirts of Paris, but we had to ride in a very large semi circle from the north east side of Paris where De Gaulle airport is, to get to the western fringe. The Hotel was just okay, but a pleasant refuge for us after such a long trip.

We made the mistake of opening the single tiny window for air, and went to bed. Julie woke next morning to a hand reaching in through the window, and at her startle dexclamation, the arm disappearede, as did our precious camera! I leapt to the window, but no sign of anybody. I went to the rear door - but it was security locked overnight, and there was no exit for anybody. Goodbye camera. It was a sad beginning to our trip, butr we decided almost instantly that it was gone, and fretting would not get it back.

We set our faces for Breteuill that morning in the hope we could buyt another one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelvin

Just letting you know that I have found your site. I will write more next time.

Regards to you and Julie

Peter Mowle